DMI contributes to a range of comprehensive international assessments, such as:
- IPCC's Fifth Assessment Report: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis
- Snow, Water, Ice and Permafrost in the Arctic (SWIPA) 2011, Arctic Monitoring and Assessment; Programme (AMAP)
- WMO/UNEP Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion 2010
- Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA) 2005
- Adaptation Actions for a Changing Arctic (AACA) , Arctic Monitoring and Assessment; Programme (AMAP)
The purpose of the assessment reports is in general to provide a thorough assessment of published literature on a particular topic rather than conducting research or monitoring. Some are based on a single call from an organization, such as the Arctic Council. Others are made at regular intervals, such as the Ozone Assessments and the IPCC Assessment Reports. Content and scope of assessment reports are typically defined by an international body, which then calls for author nominations and establishes an author team and a review process.